Designer Logic

the best logic money can buy

Feeling Dead At A Funeral

Death has been on my mind lately. I went to a funeral Saturday and I will be attending another tomorrow; I'm not looking forward to it. Obviously people will be crying and hugging and I will feel obligated to do both. I realize this, my first post, might reveal just how selfish I am but it will be noticed sooner or later so we might as well get it out of the way. So tomorrow I dress in black! Here is my beef with those ever so dreaded days. First and foremost, there is way to much money spent on the whole thing. You might as well be burying money! Religiously speaking, I don't know that many believe there is any need to preserve the physical body in some over priced cardboard box on steroids. Lets be honest with ourselves, we spend the money so we feel better about about the fact that someone is dead. Secondly, there is that awkward line towards the end of the funeral where your not sure if you should view the body or head straight for the door. Don't forget, everyone is watching you watching a dead guy. See, that doesn't even sound appropriate. Not to mention that any other time someone catches you standing over a dead body your soon in handcuffs and playing the role of the ball in a game of good cop bad cop. Thirdly, just when you thought you were going to get out of that uncomfortable suit and the situation all together, someone you barely know holds back the tears to invite you to dinner afterwards. If there ever was a bad time to eat its then, though food anytime during the week of your child's birth is probably not a good idea. Finally, I hate traffic and there is always traffic. The worst part about it, the fact that it is orchestrated. Listen, I know funerals help with closure and the grieving process but all things have their flaws. After all this rambling I'll still be there tomorrow but not for the dead. I'll be there in support of those I know and will help in any way that I can. Plus, I have heard stories about the dead moving in the casket and causing a stir; I'm still hoping to take one of those in.

3 comments:

Funerals aren't always a dread, especially if the priest is late and calls the dead person by the wrong name. Kind of funny, (okay not so funny if I'm the one in the casket being called the wrong name.)

 

I agree that funerals are not for the dead, but for the living. Since time immemorial rites of passage have been offered to the dead and closure for the living. Annoiting and tombs for the dead since recorded time. The greeks would place coins on the yes on the deceased to pay the boatman. Funeral pyres and memorials, eulogies and sermons all to comfort the living. As far as cost, well funeral directors, casket makers, funeral supply companies and cemetary owners have to make a living to. One way to look at is that there will not be any more expendatures on the deceased behalf. AS far as me attending funerals...well it is a part of being the living.
Yoda

 

Maybe funerals is all Designer Logic knows about. If not, maybe DL could make logical comments on God's Kingdom?